Tuesday 25 June 2013

War Of The Worldz.

I’m not gonna do a massive review of World War Z, but I thought I’d say a quick few words on this film, since I saw it yesterday.

I had pretty much given up hope on this film months ago. I expected nothing much from this film, and actually got a little bit more in return. It weirdly reminded me of a 70’s disaster movie. A-list star taking on an epic challenge (instead of earthquakes, tower infernos or an overturned cruise-liner, it’s zombies.) Amazing, Hollywood, big scale set-pieces. Also, I love zombie gore as much as the next man (maybe even more than the next man.), but I didn’t miss it so much in this film. Its lack of guts reminded me a little of the remake of Night Of The Living Dead. I can’t put my finger on why I’m ok with the lack of gore in this film though. Maybe because you don’t have to look very far to see zombie gut-munching these days.

I don’t know if ‘it’s not the massive disappointment I was expecting it to be’ is much of a review, but that’s pretty much how I’m summing up this flick. They were probably right to go for a low-key third act. It’s no 28 Days Later, and probably won’t make too many horror fans top-ten zombies movies. If this average zombie movie means Hollywood is more open to big budget zombie epics now, I’m happy enough.

No comments: