Saturday 8 June 2013

I Live… Again.


Like most horror artists, I’ve always wanted to depict someone crawling out their own grave with an evil grin on their face. Since I can’t post the pin-up I’ve been working on this week for my forthcoming graphic-novel, as (A) this pin-up kind of blows the ending of the whole book. And (B), I need some more exclusive art just for the graphic-novel. It’s time to scratch that itch with a sketch. At first I wasn’t sure who I was gonna draw doing the coming back from the dead, and as I kept doodling, I decided really it should be a zombie. Trouble is, I had already given this guy muscles by that point, which zombies don’t really have. Never the less, I continued. I then decided he should be Tar-Man looking, but I kept drawing the eyes too goofy, so they become just sockets. Then it was time to bust out the markers, and I had planned to go purple or brown, but then I saw my favourite shade… my pear green maker. So he became green. Looking at him now, I worry he’s a bit too Zombo looking, really. Which I guess is fitting as it’s a doodle, and I’m currently reading Broadcast: the TV doodles of Henry Flint. Maybe I should have gone purple? I just love that pear green marker. It’s the only shade that does justice to fresh fruit and rotting flesh.

Even though I’m not 100% sold on every move I made with this sketch, I do still like it.

Had a weird dream this week that all my chest-hair fell out, and I woke up feeling really freaked out… that’s… that’s normal, right…?

No comments: