Thursday 12 July 2012

REC Series.



As is probably clear from my last post, I’ve got a soft-spot for tacky Zombie flicks. Not tacky movies, generally, but I am more forgiving when it comes to those lovable flesh eaters. That said, when someone makes a really good Zombie movie (I.E. good storyline, good CGI\special effects, well shot and acted.), I think it’s cause for celebration. Considering soooooo many people make Zombie pics these days, it’s surprising how very few are actually amazing. The genre is casting such a wide net, you’d think their hit-rate would be a little higher. I only caught up with the REC series recently, but I’d put them at the top with 28 Days\Weeks Later as examples of the best in modern Zombie movies. It’s hard to go into details on why the REC movies are so good, without giving away massive spoilers, but they do have a couple of twist in them I like. I’m not a huge fan of the found-footage genre, but I think the first REC film is the best of that genre. I’m really looking forward to REC 3, but think it sucks I won’t be able to see it on the big screen. I’ll have to settle for a Blu-ray copy, but would have love to have seen it in a cinema. I think it has already had a very limited release in the UK.

Click for trailers for REC and REC 2 also. If you haven’t seen the first two, they’re well worth hunting down. For once, the US remake Quarantine ain’t bad, either. Not as good as REC, but still worth a watch. I give it extra marks just for having Jennifer Carpenter in it. Sometimes when I’m watching it, I like to pretend I’m watching Zombies invade the Dexter universe, and it’s some kind of bizarre horror mash-up… ok, not really.

No comments: