Monday 18 April 2011

Your Pixels Are Showing.

Saw this on Dread Central this morning, which kind of sums up in a nice timely way what I was saying about CGI yesterday. I disliked I Am Legend when I saw it in the cinema for more then just the piss-poor CGI vampires. But when those piss-poor CGI Vampires turned up, it’s one of the only times I’ve ever felt embarrassed for a movie. To have a budget that big and that many people working on your film and then have those turn up as your monsters. I’m not saying that mask would have made it an amazing film, but I’m a lot more forgiving if a horror movie at least has a decent monster in it.

I Am Legend the novel is one of my favourite books of all time and probably shaped modern horror more then people give it credit for. It’s a shame that none of the three films based on it have ever come close to really doing it justices. That said, The Last Man On Earth is by far the best. As much as I love Vincent Price, it maybe hard to think of him as an everyman like the character from the book. But the film itself is still very much worth a look and the closes you’ll get to a decent adaptation. A lot of people consider it the first modern Zombie movie these days.

No comments: