Wednesday 7 January 2015

Back To Drac.


While we wait for my web-comic to come back online (my web-host says someone should be looking into it in the next 12-to-24-hours), here’s a Dracula related blog post to keep everyone going… Enjoy.

Anyone who reads this blog knows I’m a bit of a fan of Dracula, and was lucky enough to get two Dracula themed presents this year. To be fair, I did buy one myself, but let’s not split hairs on this. A friend of mine was very kind enough to get me a copy of Dario Argento’s Dracula out of the blue, finally giving me a chance to see the film after waiting so long for it to come out here in the UK. And as mentioned, I bought myself a copy of Guido Crepax’s comic-book adaptation of Dracula (there’s no Wiki Crepax\Dracula entry, but I did find this cool French youtube video someone had made with shots from the book cut to scenes of the 92 Coppola movie, which is well worth a watch.) Sadly there’s no English langue’s version of the book, as far as I know, so I had to get a French copy. But on the upside, it is beautifully printed, and a stunning book.  

I’ll start with a few quick thoughts on Argento’s Dracula. While there’s maybe not much love out there for this film (it’s currently got a 3.6 out of 10 rating on imdb), I have to say as someone who’s seen a fair few Dracula films, I’ve seen a lot worse. I like my Dracula films sleazy and European, and on this at least the film doesn’t disappoint. I feel in recent times, the character of Dracula has maybe been watered down a fair amount in pop culture, so I’d give this film credit for at least showing a darker Dracula. I guess apart from a giant CGI mantis, there’s nothing really new this film has to offer, and I accept that. But for the most part, I did enjoy this film. For me it treads old ground, but after recent years of wimpy vampire movies, it was old ground I was happy to see retread. Plus I like that we got to see Argento’s take on Dracula. I like to see modern horror masters tackle the character of Dracula. I enjoyed this film as much as I usually enjoy most Dracula adaptations. It’s no masterpiece, but it’s no car-wreck either. A couple of dodgy CGI scenes aside, I mostly enjoyed watching this film. It’s like a sleazy European Dracula movie made in the 70’s, that someone’s just unearthed in modern times. I think if you’ve been feeling that must modern Dracula films feel a bit lightweight and fluffy, you might get something out of watching this film, at least.

As for the Crepax Dracula adaptation. I rate this along side the Kim Newman’s Anno Dracula series, as my favourite Dracula related books out there. Being both a massive Guido Crepax and Dracula fan, seeing Crepax take on possibly the greatest horror story of all time is a huge buzz. The book does not disappoint (apart from the fact I can’t get an English edition.) The artwork is stunning, especially when you compare it to the pretty ropey Frankenstein adaptation that follows it in this book. Even the Victorian backgrounds and settings are well drawn. I would go so far as to say the Crepax comic is my favourite visual adaptation of the Dracula story to date. Ironically, like Argento’s Dracula, I really like the European sleaze feel to this graphic-novel, too. I wonder if this is maybe the most graphic telling of the Dracula story out there? I think you can probably tell I highly recommend this book.





No comments: