Friday 27 April 2012

Godless.


It’s that horrible moment of having to return to drawing after a short period away. The first hour or two is just hell because your out-of-shape. I must have drawn the guy in the foreground countless times just to get him looking about right. The first hour of drawing after a break is pretty much worthless. Your just trying to get back into the swing of things, and anything you draw will probably be terrible. You just end up rubbing out must of your stuff from that first hour. Add to that I was breaking in new brushes. I hate using new brushes. You’d think that would be when they’re at their best, but I like a little bit of stiffness in the bristles of mine. So there was a lot of bullshit to cut through to get this image done, so I’m still not sure if it’s a winner or not. I just wanted to have a bit of a stab at doing something with a body-horror theme. Something that shouldn’t be, walking around taking bites out of the local wildlife. Really I just wanted it to be freaky and scary, an abomination on the rampage. I guess one of my biggest issues at the moment is it’s hard to gauge how frightening my work’s coming across. I’d like to think I’m hitting my marks, and freaking some people out with my artwork, but who the fuck knows, right? I like to think I’m adding to the genre that is horror. I guess time-and-tide will tell (or not.) All I want to do in life is give people horrific nightmares. Does that make me a bad person? Oh! I guess it kind of does? Ummm…

In other news… my inner eight-year old dies a little every time I watch one of those Yoda mobile-phone adverts. I mean, I’m only a mild Star Wars fan, so I can’t imagine what a kick-in-the-balls those ads are for proper hardcore fans. Also… are these adverts now canon? That would be a good way to kill off this kind of money making bullshit, and stop whoring out beloved characters. All work has to be canon and explained, no exceptions. That way, no more terrible crap like Yoda Mobile Ads, or Dimensions In Time. No stepping out of canon, or canon steps on YOU!!! (no, I don’t know what I meant by that either… sounded good, though.)

No comments: