Friday 26 November 2010

Ripping Off Myself (…And Failing.)

It probably won’t take long to figure out this above shot looks a bit familiar. I copied my own layout from a panel that went on to be the heading for this very blog. A panel I did a year or two ago taken from this page. I usually can’t stomach looking at my old artwork after a while, but I think this shot has held up ok. So when I needed a group reaction shot, I went back to this design. First thing that hits me looking at them both is that the older shot is the better of the two. It was drawn larger for a start, and therefore is more detailed and dramatic. A Zombie about to get squashed is more exciting then a bunch of people turning around. Plus no funky, forbidding shadow on the front character in the new shot. I guess the newer one isn’t meant to be as in your face as the other shot, however. Weirdly I wasn’t so keen on this panel when I saw it on the page, but I’m warming to it more after seeing it blown up on a computer-screen.

Been taking it a bit slower this week. Been fighting off a crappy cold and trying to relax and keep warm enough that it doesn’t turn into anything nastier. Which means my work rates has fallen a little bit this week. Hopefully I can pick up the slack and catch up over the weekend.

No comments: