Tuesday 31 October 2017

Happy Halloween 2017.


So this will very much be my Halloween offering to all readers this year, to celebrate everyone’s favourite morbid holiday. And just me making sure readers get some meaty Babayka action this Halloween, after a long absences this summer.

Nothing quiet says Halloween like found footage horror (or let’s stay classy, and say it’s more a modern take on Optography than found footage. Instead of the last thing you ever see being caught on your retina, now-a-days it’s your smart-phone).

To give this scene some context, it’s meant to take place pre-Babayka Land. With one of the unlucky Canadian Hockey Players catching the sight of an attacking Babayka as she’s wiped out. Of course the massacre of the visiting Lesbian Hockey Team happens between Book One and Book Two, and is therefore never seen, as it happens off page. But I do like to give a couple of hints of what happened here-and-there when I can. This being one of them.

I always think the less you see of Babayka, the scarier he is… but that’s hard to pull off when you’re drawing a pin-up. I liked the idea of both only hinting at Babayka, and not really seeing him full on. And also the idea of seeing the chaos and bloody mess he’s left behind after an attack. So I was very happy to finally figure out this design that let me do both.

I knew this pin-up was always going to be coloured, so I drew it a tiny bit differently then normal. I knew I wanted to do most of the Babayka effects digitally after in photoshop. So the Babayka drawing is a bit bareboned, as it was important to me in the finish image, he looked like a blurry photo on a screen (perhaps this is the same smart-phone as the one from the Yana selfie pin-up?)

Anyway, hope everyone has an awesome Halloween this year, whatever you’re up to.

No comments: