Wednesday 15 May 2013

Another Movie Round Up.

A bit of a shorter one this time, on account of I’ve been a little more proactive of late.

The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue: So this is a 70’s Spanish\Italian zombie movie, set and made in England, and I bought the American Blu-ray. So everybody chip in on this flick. It’s weird watching good looking Italian actors\actresses with dub on cockney accents. It’s actually pretty gory considering it came before the original Dawn Of The Dead or the Fulci late 70’s\early 80’s Zombie pics. This film being made before the big boom in the 80’s makes this a pretty unique movie. All the Zombies look like they’ve just jumped out of a Caravaggio painting or something. Since most modern zombie films are now painful zom-rom-coms with no bite, I would recommend hunting down this flick if you haven’t seen it before.

From Beyond: This movie has been a bit like an urban legend to me for a while now. It wasn’t really widely available here in the UK. Plus any VHS copies that did make it over here were heavily cut. I’ve been waiting a long time to see this flick, and it was a blast to see it uncut and with such good picture quality. I like the Stuart Gordon formula of taking a Lovecraft story and then adding the perverse. Lovecraft’s work is amazing, but very buttoned up. I always enjoy seeing people do unbuttoned takes on his stories. I don’t rate it as highly as Re-Animator, but it’s not far off. It’s differently a lost body-horror masterpiece from the 1980s. Just hoping someone puts an all-singing, all-dancing copy of Society out on Blu-ray very soon, too.

I’m trying to get more into three-panel funnies lately. With everyone on the internet now, it seems like a new golden-age for the gag strip. My favourite at the moment is Sex And Monsters (how could you not wanna read a strip with a name like that?) It’s monthly(ish) and utterly hilarious.

No comments: