Thursday 24 January 2013

Page Rage.


If drawing a graphic-novel was like running a real marathon, this would be the part of the race where I’m breathing hard and half-running\limping to the finish-line. I can see the red-tape, I’m just worried I’m gonna keel over before I reach it. I’ve also notices I’ve been taking more time over the art on these last pages. I guess I just want to end it on a high, rather than rush out the final pages. To make matters worse, I’m in one of those phases where I can’t stand looking at my own artwork, and it’s giving me nasty page rage. Every line I draw feels wrong, and I’m questioning all my art-style and layout choices. I’m hoping I’m close to coming out on the other side of this fug soon. I’m starting to realize you can’t avoid shit-storms in life, you can only weather them. They suck, and you just have to wait for them to pass. Wait until your brain-chemistry starts working with you, not against you. Right now, me and my brain ain’t on the same side. Hopefully by next week we will have kissed and made up. Maybe if we have a cookie and watch a movie together, it’ll becalm our rocky relationship. It’s our 31st anniversary at the end of next week, so I’d rather we were celebrating, not fighting right now.

Here’s my latest offering. This guy’s got a face like murder. Wonder what he’s been up to, huh? Something bad, I bet. Is this guy the villain of the piece? Maybe… (and yes, my upload button has finally reappeared. Call off the search.)

Read the graphic-novel Ragemoor last weekend. Really enjoyed it. It reads like a lost H. P. Lovecraft novel or something. Maybe a tiny bit of William Hope Hodgson in there, too. I strongly urge anyone reading this with a love for horror comics to follow this link to an article where you see Richard Corben putting together a page for Ragemoor. Looking back on it, 2012 was a pretty good year for horror comics.

No comments: