Tuesday 31 May 2011

Monkey Boy Gamble.

I have this very strong memory of seeing this scene from a horror show on TV when I was a small child. From what I can remember, it was a scene when a small group of people are in a barn, when this really freaky looking Monkey-Man jumps out in dungarees and an old, tatty, stripy jumper on a ledge above and roars. I think the plot was this Monkey-Man was going around a village killing people after escaping from some lab. For years this one scene was, for me, the scariest thing I’d ever seen. To this day I still think of this freaky scene and curse the fact that I have no idea what that show was. I’ve tried many times to hunt this show down, but not evening knowing where to start or even what it was called. Then last night, after twenty-years of not having a clue, I think I’ve had a break through on Youtube. Could this scene of been from a TV show called Chimera? I noticed from the trailer that it does have a Monkey-Man in dungarees and a stripy top. How many late 80’s, early 90’s TV shows could there be with a Monkey-Man in it, wearing dungarees and a stripy top? After twenty years, have I solved this riddle? I noticed they’d put it out on DVD a couple of years ago and wondered if it was worth a £10 gamble. I tried to hunt down more info on it and one of the things I got a kick out of was reading how a lot of people my age had been freaked out by this show, when they were kids. The best trauma, is a shared trauma, I find. Chimera came out in 91, when I would have been nine, which sounds about right. I’ve taken the £10 gamble and now fear (A) it’s the wrong show and\or (B) it’s really not that scary. These nagging fears are what keep me from hunting down a copy of Killer Net, which I remember as being good, but feel will probably fall apart if viewed again.

Anyway, here the trailer for Chimera. Speaking of childhood trauma… It’s strange, I do think the Daleks have been overused in new Who, but now I know they won’t be coming back anytime soon, I’m already missing them. I don’t know, I guess they really shouldn’t be a yearly villain, which they pretty much have been since Doctor Who came back. I guess I was just looking forward to seeing what they were going to do with them next. However, with them gone, maybe we’ll finally get a really good new Who Cybermen episode.

No comments: