Friday 4 March 2011

Sand Thing.

Well… I’m officially back in pin-up land again and here’s my first offering. I went through a period a couple of weeks ago, when I was slightly obsessed with the idea of doing a horror story about Sand People. Creatures who appear from the sand and attack, then disappear back into the ground. For some reason whenever I tried to hammer this idea into a story, it was always set in the Wild West. Sadly, no really good story came from these ideas (…yet), but just to keep the fire burning, I thought I’d do this image. Some times an idea is so good you’ll get a graphic novel out of it, some times there’s maybe only enough for a single pin-up. I think this shot has some cool elements about it. I really tried to make the Monster look like it was made of sand and give it a sand-like texture. I can’t decided if having the Cowboy being faceless and anonymous works or not. Is it scarier if you can see someone in the image reacting to the horror? I also wonder if I should have pulled back and shown more of the Horse being held above the Monster’s head or not? That said, I do like the layout of this shot. I think I got The Monster\Cowboy ratio about right.

Being crushed by your own horse. No Cowboy wants to go that way. The murder weapon being your own horse. What a way to go.

This next month is all about trying to get my Portfolio into decent shape. Sequentially I’m ok, but I could do with some new pin ups to try and dazzle any potential editors I can get it in front of. Jury’s out on if Sand Thing will make the cut. The joy of having to second-guessing editors, huh? “groan, mumble…”

No comments: