Thursday 13 May 2010

Marine Cuisine.

Around the end of last year, I started to get a real urge to draw something other then what I was working on. I wasn’t bored with the project, but you just start to want to draw other things when you’re working on a long project. Then for Christmas I got the Walking With Dinosaurs boxset and really got the urge to draw some Dinosaurs.

I kind of chicken out at first, once I did get some free time. But this week I gave it a go and above is the result. I started by mapping out the image too far down the page to begin with. So I had to light-box all my rough artwork onto another piece of Bristol Board, so I could move it up the page. It was annoying at the time, but I think the layout of this image is good, so worth it. I also spent ages inking this one. Just trying to get the line-work and shadows as strong as I could.

Also what really made me want to draw this was I’d been watching a couple of other Dinosaur boxsets over the last few months. One late 90’s one, with Jeff Goldblum narration and some of the most dodgy CGI I‘ve ever seen (I think it‘s called When Dinosaurs Ruled.) And a really good one called Jurassic Fight Club. I’m on the last disk now, and this series is amazing. I think it’s got a different narrator on the UK version and they changed the name at the last minute to Dinosaur Secrets (sounds like Jurassic smut to me. They should have a Raptor on the front in sexy lingerie or something.) You can check out a clip HERE.

No comments: