Sunday 25 April 2010

Recommend.

I don’t do it enough, but I had fun playing about with the light (or lack of it) and shadows, on the character in the foreground of this panel. The problem with turning someone into a giant silhouette is they’ll either look really cool, or they’ll look a bit flat and naff. I think I got away with it here.

Been reading the second volume of Shade The Changing Man, this weekend. I bought the first volume about four\five years ago because it was only £2 in an MVC store (with the £2 sticker stuck over the face of Shade on every copy.) I had this copy floating around for years but could never bring myself to read it. The art was a bit hit and miss inside and if it wasn’t so cheap, I never would have bought it. This copy would get lost under piles of things and I’d forget I had it, then when I would unearth it, I thought I might just throw it away as I’d never read it and it was taking up much needed space. However last year I was short on reading martial and after unearthing it again and again debuted if I should bin it, I decided to read the first issue, just because I really like Peter Milligan previous work. That night I went from having nothing to read, to reading one of the best graphic novels I’d ever read. If you ever spot a copy of Shade The Changing Man: The American Scream, it is an amazing comic. The only downside is they’ve got these beautiful Brendan McCarthy covers, but he never draws any issues, which is a massive shame. As if the inside of the comic was as funky as the covers, this comic would have been huge.

No comments: