Friday 20 November 2009

I’ve Got To Stop Scrolling Down.

Another post about a pet hate of mine (this time non-art related).

I was online Xmas shopping last night. Looking out for stuff I might want or buy other people for Xmas. I haven’t really given it much thought lately but the last couple of years, I’ve been smart enough not to leave it till the last minute and this year I was hoping to do the same. This year I’ve really been getting into boxsets of DVD’s and there’s a few I’ve got my eye on. So I’m looking some of them up and whenever I’m checking out the price, I always see which one is cheapest, if it’s new and if the sellers got a good rating. Then once I’ve done all that, I nearly always scroll down the page to see what the most someone’s selling it for. I don’t know why, as it always winds me up. Who are these people that want silly money? And does anyone ever actually buy anything from these people? There was a company wanting nearly £90 for a season of Seinfeld on one site. A boxset that goes for about £15 in shops, maybe a bit cheaper online and someone’s charging nearly £90 for that same boxset. Anyone asking for over the retail price always seems a bit cheeky and pointless, but who thought someone would happily pay six times over the normal price? I know there’s a lot of idiots in the world but even so. To get to that seller, you’d have to scroll through all these other sellers offering it for retail price or cheaper. How do these people stay in business? If something out of print like a book or something, or just hard to come by then I could see someone seeing a chance to up the price tag. Next time your shopping online and you want to put yourself in a bad mood, just scroll down and let the bad vibes start to flow.

Speaking of paying more for something then you should. I was out today looking at DVD’s and came across a movie called House By The Cemetery. I’d seen this film on TV a couple of months ago and thought it was alright. A bit slow and puzzling but had it moments. I see this film on DVD, all the time for cheap. You could easily pick it up for about £3 maybe cheaper. So why did I fork out £8 for it today? Will, because I saw they’d re-released it with this cover.

That is one funky cover and in true Italian poster art style nothing like the film. Not only does it give away the look of the monster (which you never see until the very end of the film) but also at no point does he stand over a naked woman in a cemetery in the film. In fact, I don’t remember there being any nudity in that film. And I’m pretty sure the monster never leaves the house or basement for that matter. But anyway, that is some lovely (is lovely the right word?) cover art. It always better when they use original artwork then something knocked up on Photoshop.

I also bought a copy of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. Partly because I like Hammer Horror movies, partly just for the title, which I’ve always liked and partly because it was cheap. But again mainly for the gorgeous cover art.

No comments: