Tuesday 2 December 2008

Nightmare Image.

Nightmare because it took twice as long to draw as maybe it should have. Had the thumbnails and basic idea sketched down and started drawing the Zombie in the foreground but when it came to the background it kind of got a way from me for a while. My idea at first was to just have someone (some funky looking chick) shooting as the undead closed in around her and this was what I spent ages trying to get down on the page. I drew and redrew it but to me it was always lacking something and I was never really happy with the figure work or the look of the Zombies. The top thumbnails show what I was going for.

After a couple of nights of getting no where’s with this shoot I decided to be brave and rub out what I had been drawing and start again the next day leaving only the foreground Zombie. I went right back to the thumbnail stage and decided it would be a better image if I had the character hanging off something shooting down. I quickly got together some reference for an industrial setting for the background and to give the funky lady something to hang off. This change of direction felt a lot better and made the image much more exciting as well. I think the design of this shot is a lot better then what it would have been. What I really wanted was for this to be an action scene and I had decided pretty early on that I was going to try and get a splatter effect going in this shot. A lot of flicking of Masking fluid with Plastic cutlery to get those blood sprays. Since it was Zombies I thought it needed to be a bit gruesome.

Anyway for all the problems and wasted time this pin up throw up I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out all in all. There were a couple of points where I thought I might just give up on this shot and move on to something else but I’m glad I stuck with it and even liked it enough to put it up on my redesigned website.

No comments: