Tuesday 30 June 2020

Bring Back Skeleton Horror.

So I've recently uploaded some new Babayka pages over on Deviantart. The scene in question is my little nod to the very underrated 'Skeleton Horror Genre' (although my skeletons turn out not to be alive in the end).

While Skeletons have never really took off in movies and so on (probably because before CGI, it was too hard to do a decent onscreen Skeleton without using Stop Motion Animation), there was a time in the 1950's when they were some of the coolest monsters around.

I've got a lot of love for classic style evil skeletons. They're not mindless like Zombies and can often be incredibly ruthless and spiteful. Something about being dead and the wrong side of the grave has really brought out the masochist in them. I also like that they're team-players and would often go after lovers ('Couples Peril' being something else that was also big in the 50's but has gone out of fashion now.)

I will one day soon do a proper Skeleton Horror pin-up in the coming future. Hopefully as part of SLASH-UPS: Volume 2, if I can fit it in. I'm currently just trying to think up a good creepy skeleton themed idea to draw at the moment that will do them justices.

Anyway... I hope there's a few other Skeleton horror fans out there who might also like to see more of them about in horror. I really do think they're due a comeback.


P.S. I also think I deserve extra points for finding an old skeleton horror cover as an example where the skeleton is actually called Andrew. I wonder if Skeleton Andrew is in the public domain yet as I'd love to do a comic starring him.

No comments: