Saturday 13 February 2016

The Half Truth.

Before we return to Babayka Land next Saturday (the 20th), I feel first I have to warn readers of the biggest change that’ll be happening with Book Two. While it will still be updated weekly and on Saturdays, you’ll notice with the new pages of Babayka Land, that the pages have gone landscape, rather than portrait, as with Brides Of Babayka.

Truth is I had already started Brides Of Babayka, and was into the final chapter, when it dawn on me this story would make a good ongoing series. At that time, I had only ever thought of it as a single graphic-novel, and by the time it struck me it might make a good webcomic, I was nearly finished. Therefore I never really thought of it being presented any other way but US comic-book size and in portrait.  

Just to give readers an idea of how new Babayka-Live pages are gonna look moving into Book Two, I’ve made a mock up of one using a scene from Brides Of Babayka (which can be seen below.) Babayka Land will be roughly about the same page count as Brides Of Babayka when it‘s completed, but posted half-a-page at a time, rather than a full page like Book One. Well… That’s not true, actually… There will be a fair few full pages, but they’ll be surprises, and pop up at certain points during Book Two.

I’m sadly not a fast enough artist to do a full page (pencilled, inked and lettered) in one week. So I figure it was either a full page every fortnight, or to keep my weekly schedule, and change to half-pages format. I will say I think landscape looks better in some ways, as it works better on a computer screen. I figure readers would rather have less regularly, than the same irregularly. My main aim is to make sure something goes up every week, and not miss or skip weeks, which happens so often with webcomics.

During the last two years of uploading Brides Of Babayka every week on Babayka-Lives, I think I only ever miss two posting dates during 2014 and 2015. And both were because my internet services let me down. I plan to try my hardest to make sure Babayka Land isn’t any different, and that’s the reason for the format shake up. You may get a little less this time around, but hopefully by now you’re in it for the long haul anyway, now Babayka-Lives has a whole book behind it, and a second on its way, hopefully readers will feel invested in this web-series.

No comments: