Sunday 4 September 2011

So Far, So Awesome.

I wouldn’t say I’ve taken the last three weeks off or anything like that, but I’ve differently cut my workload slightly, lately. Just trying to enjoy the end of the summer and get my energy levels back up. Also if I’m brutally honest, I bought a new, big screen TV about three weeks ago, so I’ve just been breaking it in. Feeding it a couple of boxsets and Doctor Who DVDs. Watching late-night Ninja Warrior and so on. I didn’t realize how run down I was becoming until it hit me about three weeks ago like a truck. But this week I’ve got back into the swing of things. It was rough for the first couple of days, but things seemed to pick up towards the end of the week. I just want to put in a solid few months of hard work now and finish off the year. We’ll see…

Above is my latest panel. This shot will be a bit of a call back to an earlier shot at the start of Issue #2.

As the nights get longer and cooler, I can get back into reading at night again (over the last few years, I’ve really come to hate Summer nights.) I’ve already stocked up on a small pile of books. At the moment I’m reading the much hyped John Dies @ The End. Not an easy book to find, but I did manage to track down a lone copy at my local Waterstones before the weekend (the UK cover looks like this by the way.) I’ve read a lot about this book online and had been planning to read it for a while. One of the things people say about it that intrigued me, was both how funny and scary it is. Being both funny and scary is a hard mix. They have a nasty habit of cancelling each other out. It can be done, but it’s a fine line. It’s a rare, rare trick if someone can pull it off, but I’m a hundred pages in, and so far this book is getting away with it. I have both laughed and been freaked out by this book. I’m hoping by saying all this, I haven’t jinx it and it’s going to go off the boil before the end, now. So far, to give it credit, it’s living up to the hype.

Speaking of living in hope… My nasty habit of ordering cheap schlock* DVDs on the weekend, means I’ll probably be watching this movie tonight. Judging by the trailer, I’m bracing myself for the worse. Is this the best, worse movie trailer of all time?

*I’m not Jewish, but I’m totally going to try and bring the word “schlock” into my day-to-day vocabulary.

No comments: