Thursday 15 July 2010

Cover.

I haven’t drawn a proper cover in years. I was trying to figure it out the other day, and it probably close to three years… maybe even more. I’ve done plenty of Pin-ups lately, so I didn’t feel rusty or anything. But this is my first one for a while.

To be honest it looks a lot better with the title on it, as all that unused space at the top tends to be a bit much. It’s like a third of this image is darkness.

When I was designing this shot, I was going for a much different feel. I was looking at old pulp comic covers and B-movie posters. I bought this great book on video-covers for video nasty’s called The Art Of The Nasty. I was really aiming for something gruesome. Something blood soaked, that screamed horror. Something that might catch the eye of your common gore-hound looking for splatter. But, as you can see, that wasn’t the end result. While thumb-nailing I came up with the above design and kind of feel in love with it. Not the gory throw back to old EC comics I was going for. But it felt the most right out of all my rough thumbnails. It reminds me more of that scene from The Birds, when they’re walking to the car at the end and all the birds are just watching them.

This heat is a bastard to work in. I don’t know how great comic book artist can come out of boiling hot county’s like Spain or Brazil? I’m finding it really hard to get down to drawing lately. Usually my fan and a cold drink keep me sane in the summer months. But this summer…

No comments: