Wednesday 6 May 2009

Panel Of The Dead.

This shot was going to be more along the lines of the original Day Of The Dead. The scene when they fly into an empty city and land and then all these Zombies start appearing until there’s load swarming down the street towards them. Sadly because this is only a short story the amount of space I had to set up the story was too small for anything that grand. I was still going to have Zombies roaming around an empty city but I soon realized I needed to play it more shorthand and so out came my copy of Dawn Of The Dead on DVD and I sketched the basic shape of the shopping mall from that for background scenery. I’m not a big fan of sketching from TV or Computer screens but just to still give a slight nod to Day Of The Dead I put that on and tried to get the famous jawless Zombie from the title scene drawn in as well for flavour. How well it works as shorthand I’m not sure. It nice when you have longer to set the scene but I think this shot starts the story out on the right foot more or less. If you know the movies of George Romero hopefully this image will strike a chord.

I was less worried about doing Zombies as unlike giant robots I’ve had a stab at Zombies before. They’re a lot of fun to draw. More undead action soon.

I thought exploding head guy from my last post was the coolest toy I’d ever seen until I saw this Hulk lifting two giant melons toy.

No comments: