Friday 16 July 2021

Taking The Pith.

I don't think I've ever publicly gone into how many hours and how much energy I spent trying to acquire a Pith Helmet for an Art Project back in 2019...

I live in small quirky British seaside town, which I searched high-and-low that Summer, looking for that damn elusive hat. Exploring so many hidden nooks and crannies in hopes of randomly finding one, but always to no avail.

There was the trip to the scary Military Store for a start... It's never fun being the only customer in a small shop, but for some reason it was so much worse in there. The time I actually found a really, really old white one in a fancy, second-hand, Antique Shop. But it was the wrong style, and also super expensive and looked rotted and gross and not something you'd wanna put on your head.
   
To be fair, there was a happy ending to the story, though, as I found the perfect Pith Helmet online and when it turned up, it actually looked like the hat in the photo advertising it (if you order stuff online, you'd know how rare that actually is). So all's well that ends well. I was very pleased with the one I ended up getting my hands on.

Still... it was quite annoying to say the least when I was walking past a local 'outdoor activities' shop the other day and just randomly saw one in the window staring back at me. The thing I  had spent so long looking out for locally in a shop about a 20-minute walk from my house.
 
Again, I can't complain about the way things turned out, but just so infuriating at the time seeing it. Like it was mocking me or something.

No comments: