Thursday 21 May 2015

Book One Vs Book Two.


Wasn’t a 100% sure how to kick off this Babayka-lives less summer, so I thought the best thing I could do was simply just take a picture of the latest page I’m working on right now, and post that. Yep… Here’s a half-inked page from Babayka: Book 2. I won’t go into detail for fear of spoilers, but I think it gives a pretty good feel of what Book 2 will be about and where the storyline’s heading.

I think for Book 1 (I.E. Brides Of Babayka), having a little more reserved, cloak-and-dagger style set up was very much called for. I feel one of the jobs of Book 1 is to create an enclosed, spooky atmosphere for readers, and introduce the characters of The Brides and Babayka to the audience. But once the Babayka out the bag, as it were, later in the year, I think that type of storytelling would start to feel very old, very quickly in the second book. With Book 2, I want to widen that spooky atmospheric net a little bit, and maybe introduce a bit more action into the second story. It’s ok for the characters in Book 1 to be clueless about Babayka, because the reader him\herself is also for the most part keep in the dark in the first story. I don’t think that would work for a second instalment when the reader him\herself is more wiser to what’s going on. I want to move things forward for Book 2, not just do a retelling of Brides Of Babayka.

A big thank you to everyone who tune in last Saturday over on Babayka-Lives. I’m pretty sure it was the site’s biggest turn out of return readers in its history to date. I don’t think a lot of readers knew the comic was going to start its summer break last weekend, sadly, but hopefully with the little Book 2 titbits I’ll be putting out over the summer, plus the fact that Babayka-Lives will shortly return this autumn, readers won’t be too disappointed. We’ll be a taking a one way trip into that room at the end of the hall before you even know it, dear reader, have no fear.

No comments: