Monday 30 March 2015

Double Jinkies.

Thanks to everyone who tuned in this weekend over on Babayka-Lives for your first (but by no means last) brief glimpse of Babayka. Yep, that’s right SPOILER ALERT: He’s humanoid-ish shape. Every week we get a little bit closer and closer to the big reveal. I’m saying as little as possible at this point.

Spent some time last week re-watching the Millennium trilogy. While I haven’t read the novels, I’m a huge fan the Swedish TV movies. I always feel bummed out after watching the third one, though, knowing there’s no more Lisbeth\Mikael adventures after it. It’s very ambiguous as to what kind of relationship (if any) they’d have had after the events of the third film. I really love both characters and their partnership, and the Millennium trilogy just left me wanting to see more of them, or at least a tidier ending to their partnership. That said, I’m not sure how I feel about other writers carrying on the characters after Larsson’s death. I guess you could argue great characters have a better chance of living on if new writer keep them alive with new material. Also, as mentioned, the Lisbeth\Mikael relationship feels unfinished and lacking closure (although I can see some people actually maybe liking how their partnership is left open to anything happening at the end of part three.) But to be honest, I see all novels, movies and comics staring famous characters not written by the original author as almost glorified fan-fiction anyway. It’s just whether they’re good glorified fan-fiction or not. I think canon splits off the moment the original writer ends his\her run. We get a new branch every time a new writer tackles classic characters, but the original work should always be the never changing trunk they grow off. That way you get new offshoot classics like Skyfall, Anno Dracula and the Hannibal TV series. I probably will check out any future Lisbeth\Mikael books or films, in the same way I always check out the latest Bond movies, but I just wish we could have seen how Larsson would have wrapped up their storyline (again, some people might say it doesn’t need wrapping up and is better left open ended.)

Speaking of weird offshoots, non-canon, but still pretty good offerings. I watched and enjoyed this last night.

No comments: