Tuesday 30 June 2009

Beat It.

It hard to do anything in this summer heat. Even walking has become unpleasant with the sun beating down on you. Even writing this blog post is harder then it should be. So I was walking along the street yesterday feeling light headed from being so hot from the blazing sun and trying to get a move on because I’d forgot to put on any suntan lotion before I left the house. Ahead of me I spot three guys. Shirtless and drinking beer, just walking down the road. You might never see any Goths in the summer but for some reason these lager louts, thug type love the hot weather. So I’m walking behind them when I notice one of them is wearing a single white glove. “What the hell is that about?” I thought to myself. Here this sinister looking lager lout type walking around on a boiling hot summers day with a single white glove on. And then it kind of dawn on me. Michael Jackson died last week. Maybe this guy is doing it to show he’s in mourning or something. Now words like ‘touched’ or ‘moved’ may be a bit strong but I found myself feeling a strange kind of respect for this guy. I’m no fan of either Lager Louts or Michael Jackson but when you hang out in a group people don’t like you to express yourself or do your own thing and certainly not if you’re ‘one of the lads.’ Those guys all look the same, dress the same. This guy may have looked a bit of a dick with his single white glove but he was doing his own thing and it made him stand out in this rough looking group. Maybe it was the intense heat but I found myself having for the first time in a long time a grudging respect for this thuggish looking stranger who had the balls to walk around on a hot summers day wearing a single white glove (even if he may well have only been wearing it to be ironic) it was a bold statement for a guy like that to make… but then sadly as I got closer I saw it wasn’t a glove at all. He just simply had his hand tightly bandaged. Probably hurt it from punching to many people in the face.

No comments: