Monday 18 April 2022

A Monster For Easter Monday.


Since I started this Easter holiday by posting my new Space-1999\Doctor Who artwork, I'll guess I'll end it by also posting the black and white version too, for people who want to check out the linework.

As much as this pin-up is a homage to both classic shows, I'd also like to think it's inspired by the early DWM comic strips. As I'm a massive Dave Gibbons fan and love his Fourth and Fifth Doctor artwork from that period. I was differently trying to channel a bit of his Tom Baker Doctor in this image. My secret hope was that in black-and-white (as you're seeing it now), it might almost look like a missing scene from the Fourth Doctor era Comic Strip. 

I guess if you want to be super nerdy about it, since the events of Dragon's Domain happen around the year 1996, I could have also gone with the Paul McGann Doctor instead. But it just felt right to go with who was the Doctor and Companion at the time of the episode back in mid-70's. Plus I really wanted to add Sarah Jane as an in-joke, as she was always getting hypnotises in classic Who (probably because of those big beautiful eyes).   

So can the Fourth Doctor escape in time? Can Sarah Jane say no to Alien hypno?

No comments: