Saturday 4 July 2020

The Dark Judge Rises: Redux.


Just to put this 'redux' into context... back when I first coloured this Judge Death pin-up at the start of the year (before everything got crazy), the computer I was using was in pretty bad shape. It was super old and worn-out, prone to over heating and would often corrupt and ruin any memory-stick you'd put in it (at one scary point it almost wiped all my Babayka digital files).

It was a really bad time for my trusty computer to be suddenly playing up, and colouring this first time around felt like getting into an important fist-fight with one hand tied behind my back.

With that said, at the time I was happy enough with the colour job I had got done in the end. While it had been a very stressful and slow process, I felt I had put down a solid enough effort. However, as the months have gone on, it bothered me more and more that I maybe didn't lean more into the horror aspects of the image itself with the colouring. The 'creep-factor' was maybe a bit too subtle.

So when I needed an image to practices working on while I figured out Clip, recolouring this Judge Death pin-up felt like a chance at a do-over and an excuse to inject more frights into it.

I do think this second try in Clip has a nice Cel painted look going on in places. It took me ages and many goes to get the right 'rusty burnt orange' vibe I was after. I also think I upped my slime game in this new Redux (and that's saying something, as I was pretty happy with the slime look first time around). I also tried to make Death himself\itself a bit more crusty and moldy looking.

If you would like to compare this new Redux to the original, you can find my first go at colouring this image HERE.

I would be very interested in hearing which version people prefer and why? To be fair to the first Photoshop colour job, I maybe had to hold back a bit because of the faulty computer. But to be fair to this new attempt, this is my first go at using Clip.

No comments: