Thursday 3 September 2015

A Deleted Scene (Sort Of…)

So I’m guessing by now that everyone is up-to-date and has had a chance to read Page-89 of Babayka-Lives, and has (SPOILER ALERT…) witness the return of Barry Conner. Yes, we last see Conner towards the end of Chapter three, as he drunkenly slinks off to check on Colin on Page-64. As we found out last weekend, it’s while on his way to do this that Conner is ambushed by the Brides. Beaten, overpowered and then taken to the room at the end of the hall. While we as the reader never see this scene actually happen (as I thought it would just be scarier to have an eyeless Conner come unexpectedly lumbering out the shadows), I did briefly play with the idea of drawing this scene. Although I think the story works much better without it, the reason I considered putting it in is because I had a subplot in there about how the Brides took down larger prey like Conner. In my head, I had planned to show how the Brides suit up in a makeshift kind of armour, made from things like riot gear, protective sporting pads, and so on that they have accumulated (probably mostly online.) Safely padded up against any defensive attacks, they then subdue their intended victim with cattle-prods and riot-batons and clubs. This scene would have been a lot of fun to draw, and would have answered how the Brides deal with big, burly guys in the past like Conner, but would have made the Blake and Conner reunion scene less frightening, I feel, and so had to be chopped out the final story.

I was sad to lose this scene, as I could see it clearly in my head, and would love to have drawn a scene of a small group of Brides in their makeshift armour ambushing poor Conner in some darken hallway in the hotel. Luckily, this idea does kind of live on as a pin-up. A deleted scene, if you will. Depicting just seconds before the attack happens and Conner is taken. A little peek at why he looks so bad on Page-89, although why Conner is missing his eyes…? well… that will have to remain a mystery for the time being.

No comments: